Saturday, July 6, 2024

20 years on, Jaclyn gears up for her first solo concert




It has been two decades since Jaclyn Joshua Thanaraj Victor entered the Malaysian mainstream music scene.

At age 25, Jaclyn participated in the inaugural 'Malaysian Idol', a reality singing contest organized by 8TV.

She went on to capture the hearts of local music enthusiasts by rendering songs which included Karyn White's 'Superwoman', Ruth Sahanaya's 'Keliru', 'When I Fall In Love', Chaka Khan's 'I Feel For You', and Guns N' Roses' 'Sweet Child O' Mine.'

After the first few episodes, many were already rooting for her to win the competition.

At the age of 18, Jaclyn started singing in clubs and hotel lounges.

In 2002, she and her friend, Ravi Sivalingam a.k.a. Ravi the Rat, recorded an album, titled 'Dream'.

This album was produced and written by Ravi and co-written by Jaclyn herself.

It featured 10 English songs, including two hits 'In a Dream' and 'Not Gonna Fall' which reached the No.1 Spot on Malaysian Hitz.


WHAT TOOK HER SO LONG?

Despite her ability to perform live, she hadn't put on a concert in the last 20 years after making it big in the local music scene.

To this, Jaclyn, now 45, simply says: "Everything has its time."

True enough, the time has come for her to stage her own solo concert.

Come Oct 14, Jaclyn is set to perform 'Jaclyn Victor First Solo Concert' at Zepp Kuala Lumpur.

The singer considers this golden opportunity "very meaningful gift" in her career and that she is determined not to waste this chance to give her all.

She says that this is the answer to the umpteen times she had been asked by her fans for a solo concert.

"This concert is very meaningful to me. It's a big milestone and this (completion of a) 20-year period in the industry is the best time for me to 'give back' to everyone who has supported my career. 

"It's not easy to stay relevant in the industry without the tremendous support of fans.

"I'm very excited and want to do my best for all my fans who will attend," she says.


KEEPING HER FOCUS

Jaclyn adds that she has turned down several other offers to perform this year as she wants to focus on preparing for this debut solo concert.

"I've been thinking about doing this concert since last year, especially since this year marks my 20 years in the industry.

"I'd declined all the other offers (to perform this year) politely. 

"However, if I get offers for next year, that is another story altogether," she says.

This concert will be organised by Rag Doll Records in collaboration with Banyak Bagus Entertainment and Awake Production.

As for preparations, Jacyln says she is focusing on her voice.

"For now, I need to get enough rest because I will be singing non-stop. Thinking of singing my songs non-stop in one evening is really scary."

Apart from continuing her exercise regime, Jaclyn is also watching her diet.

"I also avoid eating unnecessary things. I'm a singer, my voice is my gift," she admits frankly.

"As for song choices, outfits or guest singers, we haven't finalised them as yet. It will be a surprise for the audience."

Jaclyn expects to sing about 30 songs at the concert.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Aespa's Ningning Sits Out K-Wave Concert Due To Health

  aespa’s Ningning unexpectedly sat out yesterday’s “K-Wave Concert Inkigayo” due to health concerns. On June 2, SM Entertainment announced ...